P2

 

October Club Dive - To Be Announced

Free Fishing Day Saturday September 27th

 

In Ocean News:

World's Oldest Shipwreck Artifacts to go to New York

New York's Metroplitan Museum is to host a new exhibition called Beyond Babylon: Art, Trade, and Diplomacy in the Second Millennium B.C., and will feature artifacts found on the world's oldest shipwreck, Uluburn, dating back to 1300 B.C. on loan from Turkey...

One hundred and forty unique items from the 3,300-year-old shipwreck will include: the golden seal of Egyptian Queen Nefertiti, glass beads, golden necklaces, precious jewels, a stone hoe, containers for food and hunting items used in ancient times.

Nefertiti

The artifacts wil be on loan from the Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum and will be displayed alongside other treasures sent by museums around the world.

In addition to being the oldest shipwreck discovered so far, Uluburun provides significant insight into the ancient commercial life of the Anatolia and Mediterranean basins. Furthermore, the artifacts from Uluburun are extremely well preserved. Egyptian Queen Nefertiti's first and only golden seal in the world will be on display at the symposium.

 

Scuba Safety News
Aqua Lung Recall:

Aqua Lung USA is recalling Titan DIN 1st Stage Scuba Regulators and Titan/Conshelf DIN Scuba Adaptors sold nationwide from January 1997 to September 2008. Over-tightening of the DIN retainer by a technician during installation can result in the retainer breaking under pressure, a rapid escape of air from the scuba cylinder, and the regulator detaching from the scuba cylinder. This poses a drowning hazard.

The recalled regulators have a brass DIN retainer manufactured prior to June 2006. The recalled Aqua Lung Titan Din 1st Stage regulators have serial numbers lower than 6062501 stamped on the side of the regulator’s body. Recalled Titan/Conshelf DIN adaptors are marked “300 BAR MAX” on the side of the part.

Consumers should return the equipment to any authorized Aqua Lung dealer for a free replacement DIN retainer.

 

 

Finding a dead worm in your fried fish may be gross, but it's not a health code violation. SACRAMENTO, CA :

"She broke the fish and went to put it in her mouth and she saw something that looked like a worm," Pritchett said. "When she pulled the batter back it was a worm, and I don't know how many worms she ate before that one," Pritchett added.

Kelly McCoy, a representative with the Sacramento County Health Department said as long as the worm was dead, there was no health code violation committed. McCoy said the discovery is more of a customer service issue.

On average, the Sacramento County Health Department receives about one complaint a month from restaurant patrons who find dead worms in fish, McCoy said.

Problems can arise if the fish is not properly cooked and the worms are still alive. If a person eats a live worm, he can become a host to the parasite. Finding a live worm in cooked fish would show that the fish was not properly cooked, and that would also be considered a violation, McCoy said.

Pritchett said the restaurant gave him a refund, but that didn't settle his stomache. He said when you eat at a restaurant, finding dead worms in food should not be acceptable.

"It shouldn't be normal. It should be a crime for someone to sell fish with worms in it," Pritchett said. "That's ridiculous gross."

 


Shark repellent or shark bait? You decide.

A device attached to surf boards to repel sharks and protect surfers from getting attacked by the sea predator failed during an actual test off South Africa on Friday when a great white shark ate it.

 

According to The Australian, Rod Hartley, director of the Shark Shield Pty. Ltd., said the device did not work because it was not properly configured. Hartley added that it only works when it is stationary, “not when it’s surfing in the wave or paddling.”

 

Tropical Diving?

Hurricanes in the Caribbean and now ...

Palau Horizon Sept. 9, 2008

Palau health officials have declared a dengue fever outbreak, the Palau Horizon reports.

The Ministry of Health made the declaration following 45 confirmed cases of dengue in August. The cases are concentrated in Koror, the country’s most populated village. Kuartei in the letter said that many of those who have been diagnosed with the dengue fever have been admitted to the hospital and some of whom are critically ill with complications of dengue hemorrhagic fever and shock.

The country’s Avian Flu Task Force has been charged with organizing the government’s response. Palau President Tommy Remengesau has also appointed Vice President Elias Camsek Chin to oversee official actions to halt the spread of the disease.

Koror State residents have begun removing debris from their yards, which can serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Government garbage trucks will pick up the debris.

Dengue fever is a flu-like illness involving headaches, rashes, cramps, and back and muscle pain. Symptoms last about two weeks, and the disease can be fatal if supportive treatment is delayed.

Dengue hemorrhagic fever, a potentially deadly complication, is characterized by high fever; hemorrhagic phenomena (it's a pretty gross picture - you've been warned), often with enlargement of the liver; and in severe cases, circulatory failure.

 

back to homepage ----- next page